Top 10 Bollywood releases in 2010
After losing close to Rs.700 crores (Rs.7 billion) in 2009, Bollywood has pinned many a hope on the coming year with a slew of films like My Name Is Khan, Kites, Raavan , Rajneeti , Veer, Rann, Teen Patti, etc.
The year will start with actor Uday Chopra‘s debut production Pyaar Impossible, which will hit on screens on Jan 8. It is a romantic comedy that shows how Uday and Priyanka come together by a twist of fate and love blooms amidst all odds.
1. Chance Pe Dance:Shahid Kapoor will enthrall fans with his dance moves in Chance Pe Dance on Jan 15, where he teams up with Genelia D’Souza.In the film helm by Ken Ghosh (Ishq Vishk fame), Shahid plays a struggling actor and had to really work on his body. He will sport an eight-pack abs in the film.
2. Rann: Starring Mr.Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh, this Ram Gopal Varma enterprise is releasing on Jan 22. RGV is one person who always surprises the audience either with mediocre cinema (Aag) or something beyond one’s imagination (Satya, Company, Kaun, Shiva, Rangeela, etc).
3. Veer: Veer the magnum opus written by Salman Khan himself is a patriotic period film set in colonial India. Directed by Anil Sharma the movie is scheduled to releases on Jan 22. The story about bravery, treachery and love and revolves around the much-maligned Pindaris, who preferred death to dishonor and fought to their last breath to save their land. Former Miss UK Lisa Lazarus also plays a pivotal role in the movie that also stars Mithun Chakraborty, Jackie Shroff, Sohail Khan and Bharat Dabholkar.
4. My Name Is Khan: The much awaited movie of the year, Karan Johar’s MNIK will hit the screens worldwide on Feb 12. My Name Is Khan reportedly sold to Fox Studios for Rs 100 crore brings back the hit pair of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol, who were last seen in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham in 2001. What’s more, it doesn’t start with letter “K” and promises to be different from what Karan has done so far. The story revolves around Rizwan Khan (Shah Rukh) who suffers from Asperger syndrome, a form of autism. Rizwan falls in love with single mother Mandira (Kajol), who lives in San Francisco. Rizwan is detained by authorities at Los Angeles airport, mistaking his disability for ’suspicious’ behavior.
5. Karthik Calling Karthik: KCK hits screens Feb 26. The film is a romantic thriller about the protagonist Karthik (Farhan Akhtar), whose life changes with the help of someone who also claims to be Karthik. The film is directed and written by Vijay Lalwani and also stars Deepika Padukone, Ram Kapoor and Shefali Shah.
6. Teen Patti: Teen Patti, which is scheduled to release in this february, is a crime thriller starring Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan and Hollywood veteran Ben Kingsley. Directed by Leena Yadav, Teen Patti also features R. Madhavan and is loosely inspired from Hollywood movie 21.
7. Kites: This international venture starring superstar Hrithik Roshan and Hollywood hottie Barbara Mori, can easily rank amongst the most awaited films of 2010. The long-in-the-making Rs 60-crore film Kites will finally see the light of the day on May 14. This is Anurag Basu‘s first big budget action thriller which also marks the debut of Mexican beauty Barbara Mori. An international version of the film is currently being cut by Hollywood director Bret Ratner. Hrithik will also be seen in an intense love story in Sanjay Leela Bhansali‘s Guzaarish in which he plays a paraplegic. Produced by UTV Motion Pictures, the casting coup is his pairing with Aishwarya Rai. The couple has previously shared great chemistry and box office success with Dhoom 2 and Jodhaa Akbar.
8. Agent Vinod: Taking its title from Mahendra Sandhu’s 70’s thriller Agent Vinod, Sriram Raghavan promises a mix of Bond and Bourne with this Saif Ali Khan-Kareena Kapoor starrer. At an estimated budget of Rs 40 crore expect a fast-paced edge of the seat thriller shot across the globe. Agent Vinod will also be Saif’s second home production.
9. Raavan : Also making a comeback is team Guru – Mani Ratnam, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai – who bring us Raavan scheduled for a mid-2010 release. The film is reportedly a modern take on Ramayan where Ravan’s charm overshadows Ram’s.
Apart from above ten movies there are other movies like;
Vipul Shah’s Action Replay starring Aishwarya Rai and Akshay Kumar. Actor turned producer Aamir Khan’s Delhi Belly and Peepli Live. Dibakar Bannerjee’s experimental digital film Love Sex Aur Dhokha. Ram Gopal Varma’s gangster drama Rakta Charitra, Vishal Bhardwaj’s production Ishqiya. Karan Johar’s animation movie Koochie Koochie Hota Hai.